Bruntsfield Primary School – Class WhatsApp Group Guidelines
Many classes at Bruntsfield Primary School have parent run WhatsApp groups that facilitate helpful communication between parents. We ask that everyone using these groups should read and follow the notes and guidelines listed below.
The class WhatsApp groups have been voluntarily set up by the parents in each class and endeavour to include all parents with children in the class. There is no requirement to join these groups and participation is voluntary.
These groups are not monitored by the Parent Council or the school and it is up to the class parents to oversee and ensure appropriate use. The Parent Council and school can share that these groups are in use and direct new parents on how to join the groups if they wish.
The following guidelines for use of these WhatsApp groups have been developed and will remain under review – comments and suggestions are welcome. We want people using the groups to understand how they operate and what they are for. All users are requested to abide by these guidelines in order to take part.
Use of the WhatsApp Year Groups is open to all parents provided they follow these guidelines.
- Messages posted on the WhatsApp Year Groups should be supportive and respectful of all other group users.
- Offloading frustration and expressing strong feelings are okay, but keep your language moderate and your criticism constructive. Do not swear as this can offend others.
- Respect the confidentiality of anything posted on the group, and avoid mentioning names and other details in your own posts if there is any risk that these could cause you difficulties.
- It’s okay to make passing comments on what’s happening around you, whether it’s football results, politics or the weather, but remember that the group is about being a parent so keep them short.
- Links to other online information posted in WhatsApp messages should only be made to sites which are relevant to school, education or extra-curricular activities. Links and other requests should not be posted if they relate to commercial services, unrelated campaigns or personal appeals.
- No one is under an obligation to chat or respond to questions posed.
- Some group members may message you directly. There is no obligation to answer. If this direct personal approach does not suit you, please let the individual know.
- If another parent considers a message inappropriate they can contact the person who posted it and seek removal of the message if desired.
- It is unacceptable to defame another parent or any school staff member on the WhatsApp Group.
- Concerns about school should be discussed with the school using [email protected] or by telephoning 0131 229 1821 (school office is open Mon-Thur: 8:30 – 15:45, Friday: 8:30 – 12:30)