The COVID-19 emergency measures and Streets for People initiative have given Bruntsfield Parent Council the opportunity to feed into council policy on roads and travel in the Bruntsfield area. Given the importance of this, we are seeking volunteers from the parent forum to lead in this area.
Ideally, We need someone, ideally with knowledge of council processes and protocols to:
- work with councillors and council officials to influence temporary traffic orders and similar which will facilitate the safety of our children heading to and from school;
- ensure traffic crossing patrols are prioritised and staffed;
- highlight and drive forward local and national initiatives such as bike to school, walk to school within the school community;
- meet with the JRSO team in school and help it function effectively;
- work with school management to ensure that the safe travel to and from school is highlighted in appropriate assemblies;
- establish contact with traffic and travel teams in cluster and other local primaries to share best practise and joint initiatives;
- champion road safety in the school community and represent parents and pupils in the wider Bruntsfield community.
This may sound like a lot of work so it may suit one or two people working together – perhaps from different parts of the catchment and/or school age-groups. You don’t have to be an ‘office-bearer’ – just someone who is patient, passionate about road safety and is keen to make a difference.
if you are interested and want to get involved, email Karen for an informal chat – [email protected]