What is the A+ Group?
Our A+ Group
- is for Parents & Carers of children who are from the African and Asian diaspora, and go to Bruntsfield Primary school
- is also open to Parents & Carers with ‘Ethnic Minority’ status, who want to listen, learn from, & support Black and Asian families at BPS
- will make specific parts of our meetings welcome to White/’Ethnic Majority’ Parents & Carers – to listen, learn from & support us.
A+ Group is for us to uphold the rights & needs of our children for an excellent and empowering experience at school. We will focus on their Education and Cultural Rights, and encourage the school to implement a Global curriculum.
This project is facilitated by an independent Community worker who is also a parent at Bruntsfield Primary School. The group is funded by the Parent Council, and will run for a calendar year from June 2021 to June 2022.
What will I get from the A+ Group?
A+ Group is a ‘safe space’ for positive action at Bruntsfield Primary School. You can
- explore matters that are important to you and your child
- develop ideas and recommendations with other Black and Asian families
- access interpreting & translating support to make your views fully heard
- learn about Children’s Rights to Education
- suggest improvements now for your child’s future
- share your own strengths, skills & contribution with the school community
- speak directly with the leaders of the school and parent council
This is the time to make positive action happen.
Bruntsfield Primary School and Parent Council want to improve.
City of Edinburgh Council has a new action plan for Equality.
The Scottish Government has made all Children’s Rights the law in Scotland.
Black, Asian & ‘Ethnic Minority’ Parents & Carers have essential knowledge, skills and experience for schools to make meaningful changes right now.
Join the A+ Group to help make BPS the best Rights-respecting school for ALL children!
When & Where does the group meet?
A+ Group will meet 6pm-7pm on the last Wednesday of each month (excluding December), during the 2021/22 academic year. To make the group safe & accessible, meetings will be a mix of in-person and online (using Zoom). When it is safe, the school will offer the group a child-friendly room in the evenings, and children will be welcome.
- 29 September 2021
- 27 October 2021
- 24 November 2021
- 26 January 2022
- 23 February 2022
- 30 March 2022
- 27 April 2022
- 25 May 2022
- 29 June 2022
For more information please contact:
Zaki El-Salahi on 07849 547 571 (+WhatsApp) / [email protected]
- A+ Group Info – POLISH
- A+ Group Info – MANDARIN
- A+ Group Info – PUNJABI (Gurmukhi)
- A+ Group Info – PUNJABI (Shahmukhi)